Model railways are going through a bit of a boast in popularity as of late. It seems that more and more children are ditching video games and other activities to set up a pretty fantastic kit. This is great! However, as you are probably aware for many people finances are a bit tight at the moment, and with something as expensive as a train set savings are going to need to be made. That doesn’t mean you need to find a budget set however (they never perform well!). Instead there are plenty of model train layouts for sale at rock bottom prices on websites such as eBay. Let me run you through exactly how you can score the best possible deals online.
Whilst it may be tempting to start browsing Ebay as soon as possible, there are a number of things that you are going to need to consider before you do so:
- Your budget. It is important that you set your budget in stone before you start browsing through all what is on offer on eBay. The main reason for this is that it is VERY easy to become tempted by all of the lovely shiny train sets out there. Before you know it, you have over spent and you are going to need to eat baked beans for a week! So work out exactly how much you can afford and stick to it.
- The second thing that you are going to need to consider is the scale of the train that you are going to be purchasing. I won’t go into too much depth on this as there are plenty of guides dotted about this website on the various scales. However, don’t purchase a large scale if you simply have nowhere to put it. If you are purchasing for a child then don’t purchase small scale vehicles as they will find them hard to hold in their hands.
- Do you want to purchase a new or used model railway layout? Plenty of companies (some of them huge!) are offering massive discounts on new models on eBay nowadays. However, you do need to bear in mind that you are not going to get as much ‘bang for your buck’ when it comes to purchasing new layouts.
Once that is out of the way you can start browsing through the variety of model train layouts for sale on eBay. I suggest that you follow this process:
- In the search bar at the top of eBay type in various search terms until you get a list which you like e.g. [your scale] model train layouts, model train kits [your chosen scale]. I am sure you will be able to work out which is going to be the best to type in. Make sure you run through all options though as not everything will appear under one search string.
- Secondly, sort your list by ‘ending soonest’. Often there are a couple of fabulous deals ending soon, and they are always going to be worth checking out. I also like to sort by ‘Price and Shipping Lowest First’ and put in a sneaky little bid on a cheap model just to see if I am going to snag it or not (has happened quite a few times!)
- On the bar on the left of the page you will be able to customize a number of options to really narrow down the list and get some the train kit which is perfect for you.
Remember, when you are searching for model train layouts for sale you will want to pay attention to what is included in the box. Hopefully your seller has been nice and included a list for you, if not you will need to do a bit of research. There is nothing worse than receiving a shiny new kit and realizing that you can’t do anything with it because vital parts are missing.
My next tip is to ALWAYS check the feedback of the seller. This will give you an indication of how well they perform on eBay and whether they deliver what they say they will or not. I tend to veer away from sellers who have no feedback as they haven’t got ‘trust’ yet. However that was down to me being on eBay at a fairly early point where buyers were not as well protected as they are nowadays.
If you are searching for used model train layouts for sale then you should always check the description. Whilst model railway owners tend to look after kits pretty well, there may be some damage (hence why they are selling it). A courteous seller will also photograph images of any damage. If you can’t find any indication then do not hesitate to get in touch with the seller, they have the potential to make a sale so they should be more than happy to list if there are any problems with it otherwise it could come back to haunt them should you buy it and leave negative feedback.
Finally, make sure you are 100% happy with your selected model train layout before you make your purchase. Bids can only be retracted in a few circumstances and if you win the auction you will need to pay for the model train layout.
Why not head to eBay today? There are a plethora of model train layouts available, and I am sure if you look hard enough you will find the PERFECT one for what you want, and because it is on eBay it should hopefully be very well priced as well!